elevate your impact
apply for a grant
Fund for Excellence in Essex County
In recognition of the impact COVID-19 is having on our communities and the nonprofits that serve them, ECCF has decided to use this year’s Fund for Excellence in Essex County grant allocation to help seed our Essex County COVID-19 Response Fund. This is a one-time effort and repurposed funds will support community-based organizations on the front lines of the coronavirus outbreak response.
The Fund for Excellence in Essex County (FEEC) grants support specific projects that strengthen the capacity of a nonprofit organization to perform its work more effectively. For the 2021 funding cycle, ECCF will award FEEC grants to support the professional development of nonprofit staff of organizations based in and serving Essex County, with priority given to organizations with budgets under $1,000,000.
Examples of types of requests that would be considered for these grants include:
- Training and development
- Leadership coaching and development
- Succession planning
- Conference registration fees, workshops, seminars, or webinars
- Speaker series
ECCF will award one-year grants of up to $5,000. Funding is limited and the grant program is highly competitive.
Grants will not be awarded:
- To individuals
- To organizations located outside of Essex County
- For sectarian or religious purposes
- For political purposes
- For debt or deficit reduction
- For capital campaigns for buildings, land acquisition or endowment
- To support academic research
- To address funding gaps due to mismanagement or poor planning
- To support work that has already taken place
- For purposes which are generally a public sector responsibility
- For feasibility studies
- For website development
- To state and local government agencies
ECCF seeks grantmaking opportunities where the investment of up to $5,000 can make a difference. When reviewing grant proposals, we will look for:
- Clear organizational mission and vision
- Evidence that the organization and its programs/services meet a documented need of Essex County residents
- Clear articulation of how the requested professional development will strengthen the capacity of staff and the applicant organization and contribute to its ability to meet its mission
- Staff and board leadership that is diverse and representative of the community that the organization serves.
This grant cycle will open in 2021.
ECCF staff will review all proposals and make grant recommendations to the ECCF Board of Trustees for approval. An ECCF staff person may contact applicants for additional information about a proposal or to arrange a site visit during the review process. This person may also contact other funders, community leaders, or other local agencies to learn more about the organization applying for funds and discuss the proposal. Copies of proposals submitted to ECCF may be shared with others during the review process.
Agencies receiving grants from the Fund for Excellence in Essex County must submit a final report on their project by March 1st of the year following the grant award. Final reports are required in order to be eligible for future grant funding. If projects are not complete by the March 1st deadline, agencies should submit an Interim Report on their progress and request an extension.
This grant cycle will open in 2021.
Up to $5,000
Limited to nonprofit organizations located in and serving residents of Essex County, Massachusetts.
nonprofits & grants
get in touch
Senior Program Officer
(978) 777-8876 x128
how can we help?
We would love to hear from you.