our mission & values
what we stand for
Essex County Community Foundation inspires philanthropy that strengthens the communities of Essex County by managing charitable assets, strengthening and supporting nonprofits, and engaging in strategic community leadership initiatives.
Our ultimate goal is to improve the quality of life in the 34 towns and cities of Essex County.
ECCF seeks to reflect these important values in our work:
- Integrity. We steward charitable resources with an honesty and transparency that inspires trust, always in service to community.
- Collaboration. We build authentic relationships across our communities, working together to learn, iterate and think creatively to advance social change.
- Equity. We act to create and strengthen systems and structures that advance just opportunities for all people.
- Inclusivity. We believe in the inherent value of all people, striving for a culture where everyone feels welcome and can fully participate as themselves.
- Joy. We love what we do and have fun doing it.
Essex County thrives when we have:
- Successful schools and students
- Safe, clean and green neighborhoods
- Strong job and economic opportunities
- Vibrant arts and culture experiences
- Healthy people
what we do
partner with donors and professional advisors
We help donors of all sizes elevate their giving by managing charitable assets, sharing our local expertise and providing philanthropic guidance and education.
strengthen and support nonprofits
Essex County’s 4000+ nonprofit organizations are doing smart, innovative work. We support their critical efforts with education, resources and funding.
engage in systems based community leadership work
To solve our region’s most complex social issues, we invest and engage in community leadership initiatives driven by our Systems Philanthropy approach to change.
Since 1998, ECCF has proudly served the 34 unique cities and towns of Essex County. What started as an organization solely dedicated to strengthening our region’s nonprofits, has evolved – along with our communities – to an innovative and deeply connected Foundation inspiring system based social change.
Founded & Established
- ECCF began with a vision to strengthen our region’s nonprofits. Our work expanded to connect donors with causes they care about and convene leaders around important issues. Through these endeavors, ECCF emerged as a trusted regional leader.
- Our ability to convene allowed ECCF to incubate initiatives that had a great impact on our community, including the Institute for Trustees and the
.Youth at Risk Conference
2016 - 2019
Launch Impact Essex County
ECCF leveraged its unique position to launch Impact Essex County – our first community leadership initiative. This work addressed the region’s greatest challenges using data and collective action to deliver lasting social change and our future initiatives were shaped by this innovative approach.
2022 - 2020
Taking it to the next level
- We take our work to the next level in this three-year strategic plan. Join us in creating a sustainable, nimble community foundation that helps our communities thrive
how can we help?
Connect with us live and find out how we can elevate your giving.